As travel resumes across the country, millions of people are eager to leave the mundane and experience new adventures amidst a change of scenery. Are you one of them? If so, then Lake of the Ozarks is the perfect place to start planning. An ideal vacation spot, here are the top 8 outdoor activities to enjoy near Lake of the Ozarks.
1. State Parks
Missouri offers an abundance of protected outdoor space in the form of state parks. We are fortunate to be near two of them.
- Ha Ha Tonka State Park – This unique, popular park features intriguing history and outstanding geologic features, such as: sinkholes, caves, an enormous natural bridge, sheer bluffs, and a large natural spring. Trek the many trails to experience nature’s bounty, natural wildlife, and even an historic castle. The park is currently open for day-use and limiting capacity to prevent overcrowding.
- Lake of the Ozarks State Park – Missouri’s largest state park boasts 89 miles of shoreline, swimming beaches, boat-launching areas, marinas, miles of trails for mountain biking, hiking and horseback riding, cavern tours, and untouched natural beauty. The park is open with social distancing measures in place.
2. Golf Courses
Are you a golf enthusiast? Osage Beach provides several courses from which to choose. Or plan a long enough stay and take a swing at all of them. We offer “Stay & Play” packages at Harbour Ridge with about 15% off rack card – a great getaway deal for couples. Choose from these four fantastic courses:
- Bear Creek Valley Golf Club – Located in the heart of Osage Beach, this par-72 course encompasses 250 acres of forest, meadows, and scenic valleys. Practice your game at their driving range or putting green, stock up on golf essentials at the Pro Shop, or enjoy a casual meal in the restaurant and lounge.
- Eldon Country Club – Situated at the end of the lake, this 18-hole championship course has been voted Best Overall Public Golf Club in Lake of the Ozarks. Set amid a backdrop of wooded areas, Eldon Country Club is sure to provide a pleasurable experience for your golf outing.
- Indian Rock Golf Club – Indian Rock’s 300-plus acres of zsoyia fairways and bentgrass greens provide the perfect place to play a round of golf, or two. You won’t soon forget the signature 17th hole, guarded by a majestic outcropping of rocks at the back and a deep, clear-water lake to the front. The Pro Shop features your favorite golf necessities, including equipment rentals. Enjoy another round at The Rock Bar & Grill.
- Rolling Hills Country Club – This enjoyable and welcoming par-71 course features gently rolling hills, three lakes, and a memorable 8th hole (formerly the 17th). The pro shop, driving range and practice green make it a one-stop shop for all things golf.
3. Lake of the Ozarks
This famed Lake is the ideal place to spend your summer vacation, offering an abundance of fun outdoor activities, such as: parasailing, kayaking, boating (including rentals), paddle boarding, parasailing, and more. Or make it relaxing with an afternoon of swimming or lying on the beach.
4. Tropic Island Cruises
If you’re planning a romantic couple’s getaway, then don’t miss these exceptional cruise options. From daily scenic cruises to private charters, experience Lake of the Ozarks from the comfort of a yacht.
Did you know the Ozarks was also known for great wine? Sip and savor to your heart’s content at one of these delightful wineries:
- Seven Springs Winery – Located only 7 minutes away from the Inn (and a personal fave), Seven Springs sits atop 160 acres of rolling hills and features Missouri wines, Sangria, and a few micro-brews as an alternative. After tasting a selection of vino, enjoy a glass of your favorite on the covered porch or patio area while taking in the winery’s stunning scenic views.
- Golden Rock Winery – Featuring wines made from the finest grapes sourced from vineyards around the world, Golden Rock is sure to please every palate. In addition to wine tastings, they offer dine-in services as well as to-go and curbside services.
6. Cave & Cavern Tours
- Bridal Cave – Open year-round at a constant 60 degrees Fahrenheit, your guided tour will take you through an underground world of mineral deposits in the form of giant columns, massive draperies, and delicate soda straws – more than any other known cave or cavern in the world. One of America’s most scenic cave tours, Bridal Cave is a must-see.
- Stark Caverns – Located near Lake of the Ozarks, Stark Caverns will reveal an underground world to remember. During your guided tour, you will travel through time as you explore Native American artifacts and incredible geological formations, like: stalagmites, stalactites, and fluorescent minerals. Tour by day, black light, or lantern. The caverns are open with social distancing in place.
7. Mennonite Country
Travel back in time to Mennonite farm country in Morgan County. Home to a community of hard-working people from eight different Mennonite denominations, you’ll see life through a different lens, one steeped in history and religion. As you tour the beautiful and spacious countryside from the comfort of your car, be sure to stop at the many locally-owned shops for handcrafted items, everything from cotton quilts to wooden rocking chairs. You’ll also find places to buy fresh produce, baked goods, seeds, plants, and much more. When hunger strikes, enjoy a homemade potpie with fresh baked rolls at one of the family-owned restaurants.
8. Inn at Harbour Ridge
The perfect vacation requires the perfect accommodations, like our award-winning Inn at Harbour Ridge. Our lakeside location provides ample opportunities to rest, relax, and rejuvenate. Sit in the gazebo with a good book and cold glass of lemonade. Stroll down the cobblestone walk and peruse the colorful and aromatic gardens. Lay out on our dock to sun and swim, or use our paddleboat. Kick back in one of our four spacious and unique guestrooms where you’ll be spoiled with luxurious linens, a king-size bed, a private patio, or tiled shower for two. You’ll also have peace of mind knowing we follow stringent cleaning and sanitizing protocols based on CDC guidelines, offer social distancing at breakfast with flexible breakfast times, and only allow a maximum of eight guests at one time.
So, what are you waiting for? Stop dreaming and start planning your summer getaway today. Come enjoy a variety of fun outdoor activities around Lake of the Ozarks. Have questions? Contact me by phone or email. I’m happy to help you plan your getaway, and offer tips about area businesses, including which restaurants social distance and which ones do not. Check availability here.